‘The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.’
At Luxulyan, in partnership with our parents/carers, we believe that reading is the key that unlocks many doors to learning in other areas of the curriculum. Our children should:
- Experience an environment which is literacy rich.
- Be encouraged to love books and read for pleasure.
- Be taught how to decode words for themselves when they are able to do so.
- Share the love of reading with family, friends and adults at school.
Children are expected to read regularly at home, at least 3 times a week, ideally more.
We encourage the children to read their Bookbag three times, in order to develop as follows:
- Accuracy– decoding the words using 'Fred Talk' they might sound like they are using a robot voice.
- Fluency– reading accurately, quickly and with appropriate expression- using their storyteller voice.
- Comprehension– understanding of vocabulary, events in the story, what the author intends for the reader to think...
Children begin their reading journey with Lilac and Pink books. They are then assessed into RWI phonics groups each half term and read Bookbag books that correspond with their RWI colour group.
All children sit a Star Reader Placement Test half termly which gives them a numerical range to select books from. All the books are categorised from level 1 upwards as decimal numbers, e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2…
A typical range would be 1.9 - 3.0.
They are permitted to choose any level book, but the ones in their given range are best suited to their reading ability and therefore success as a reader.
After reading their book the children take a quiz to check their level of comprehension. If they pass the quiz, 60% pass rate, they earn points towards their next reading certificate. The number of points available for each book is written inside the front cover along with the range and quiz number. If they get 100% on a quiz they stamp their bookmark and when they have ten 100% quizzes they receive a prize.
Reading Certificate Order
Ready Reader 1 - 5
We track the children’s progress through these certificates on our display in the hall, and they receive their certificates in assembly.
We celebrate the number of words read each week by each House Team and there’s even a Millionaires Club to aim for!