Read Write Inc. Phonics
At Luxulyan we use Read,Write,Inc. Phonics to teach a programme of daily lessons from Reception to Year 2.
Children learn the 44 phonemes (speech sounds) and their associated graphemes (how these are written) through a system of synthetic phonics. In addition to this, pupils learn to read and spell appropriate high-frequency and exception words for their age group.
Each session gives an opportunity for children to:
- Learn new sounds
- Review sounds already learnt
- Develop their sight vocabulary of green words (words that you can decode using your knowledge of phonemes)
- Develop their sight vocabulary of red words (words that you can not decode using your knowledge of phonemes)
- Develop their ability to decode nonsense words (words that test their ability to use phonics, but are not real)
- Apply phonetic knowledge to reading storybooks by blending (commonly referred to as sounding out and then reading the word)
- Segmenting the words for spelling (breaking the words back into sounds).
Year 1 Screening Check
In the Summer Term, every Year 1 child will take the National Phonics Screening Check; this is a phonics-based check where children will be expected to read 40 simple, decodable words including nonsense words.
This is a progress check to identify those children who are not yet at the expected level in their reading. The results will be reported to parents. Children will be rechecked in Year 2 if they do not reach the expected level.