Religious Education (RE)

Religious Education

Intent- Why are we teaching this?

At Luxulyan School, our aim is to open children’s eyes so that they appreciate that the country we live in comprises many different religions and cultures. In addition, we aim to bring about an awareness and sense of their Cornish heritage and culture specific to the place in which they live and how this fits in with the wider world. 

Our curriculum aims to teach children the key skills they need to be tolerant and understanding of other religions  

Our curriculum is based on the ‘Cornwall Agreed Syllabus Religious Education 2020 to 2025.’  Throughout R.E. lessons, the children will spend 60% of their time studying Christianity and for the remaining 40% they will learn about Hinduism, Islam and Judaism.  

We aim to teach RE through a variety of different medium and to engage outside visitors to enhance children’s learning experiences as well as visiting places of cultural and religious interest. We therefore teach RE through literature, music, art, drama, design technology, external visitors and school trips. By using a multifaceted approach, we aim to develop opportunities to enhance spiritual, moral, social and cultural understanding and encourage children to respond and reflect on their own understanding and experiences as well as to the teachings and practices of a variety of different religions studied from Early Years to Year 6. 


Implementation- How is this being taught in the classroom?

At Luxulyan School we use the Cornwall Agreed Syllabus 2020-2025 which is enquiry led and shows clear progression throughout the school as well as being accessible to all.  We then use the Understanding Christianity resource and the syllabus schemes of work to support teaching and learning.

The schemes of work are enquiry-based scheme, covering 4 of the principal world faiths in a progressive way from Reception to Year 6. In the early years, the learning is closely matched to Development Matters to contribute meaningfully to your child’s holistic development. Throughout all the enquiries, the children’s spiritual, moral, social and cultural education is carefully considered.  Each enquiry lasts for half a term and begins with a “big” question such as “What does it mean to belong to a faith community?” 

In Reception, children cover Christianity and a range of other faiths, as part of their growing understanding of people, culture and communities.  Children in KS1 cover the religious traditions of Christians, Jews and Muslims and children in KS2 cover the religious traditions of Christians, Hindus, Jews and Muslims.  

Learning is recorded in Topic  books in each class and is evidenced in each classes floor book to demonstrate a variety of outcomes arising from outside visitors and cultural visits. 

By the end of Year 6, pupils will have learnt about the beliefs, teachings and practices of the great religious traditions of the world, with a particular focus on Christianity. This will include celebrating Harvest, Easter and Christmas in special assemblies as well as showing an appreciation for other religious festivals such as RamadanChinese New Year and Festival of Passover. 


Impact- What is the effect?

Children will make at least good progress from their from their starting point in Early Years. 

Children would have been given time to reflect on their own faith, values and responses and to develop the qualities of commitment, fairness, respect, self-understanding, enquiry and openness. These qualities are also explored further during a half-termly focus on a value such as respect, linking with PSHE teaching and in our weekly assemblies. 

Children would also have acquired skills to enable them to learn about religion such as investigation, interpretation, reflection, empathy, evaluation, analysis, application, expression and collaboration. 

Children demonstrate a positive attitude towards people of any religion and show an understanding of cultural beliefs different to their own. They demonstrate respectful behaviour to all and this is transferable outside of school in the wider community and beyond.  

 Children learn about important people from the past and the present who have been or are positive role models and who are of a different race or religion. 

RE Long Term Overview
Knowledge Organisers